Principles of Mine Planning, Vol. I (2nd Edition)
This book discusses the elements of modern mine planning while emphasizing the need for their integration in the minerals business. All the topics of mine planning are grounded with the principles of corporate governance, sound economics, concerns for environment and social responsibility.
The book, in addition to the obvious aspects, introduces for the first time in mine planning a few up-coming engineering and management areas related to the minerals business: risk assessment in mining investment; project management and control; IT-enabled strategic planning; supply chain management; PERT, CPM and CCPM. It adds a new appendix on due diligence.
All the chapters contain clear illustrations, case studies and examples, and worked out examples for improved understanding on the modern and next- generational aspects of mine planning.
This book would be extremely useful as a textbook for diploma, graduate and post-graduate students of mining and geo-resources engineering and business, and as a reference for teachers, researchers and professionals.
Author: Jayanta Bhattacharya, PhD.
Published in 2007 by Wide Publishing.
Table of Contents:
- Mine Planning Requirements
- Surface or Underground Mining
- Determination of Technical Factors in Mine Planning
- Considerations of Risk in Mine Planning
- Optimization Techniques in Mine Planning
- Infrastructure Planning
- Mine Surface Layout: Planning and Design
- Economic Decision Making for Vertical Shaft or Inclined Mine
- Mine Access Design: A Shaft System
- Planning of Power Requirements
- Planning of Mineral Handling Plants
- Filling and Stowing Plant: Planning and Design
- Environmental Control Measures in Mine Planning
- Financial Profitability
- Preparation of Plan Reports
- Sustainable Use of Mined Land and Closure Planning
- Project Monitoring for Plan Execution of Mines: Discussions on Information Networks and Action
- Project Planning Issues: A Review of Parameters
- Mine Project Scheduling: PERT, CPM and CCPM
- IT-enabled Strategic Planning
- Supply Chain Management for Minerals
- Dispute Resolution Mechanisms for Mining Projects: Aspects of Legality and Flexibility
- Planning for Rejuvenation of Local Economy in Active and Abandoned Regional Mine Areas
- Mine Planning in the Future: Issues and Challenges
- Appendix 1: Proposed Proforma for Environmental Management Plan Report
- Appendix 2: Environmental Management Plan Checklist
- Appendix 3: Assessment of Preparedness for Mine Plans and Mining Industries in Environmental Protection
- Appendix 4: Due Diligence of Mining Projects
"There is a distinct lack of high quality reference texts in mine planning. Bhattacharya has produced a volume that can serve the purpose of undergraduate instruction as well as that single mine planning reference on any mine engineer's bookcase."
-- Dr. Michael Hitch, P.Geo, Assistant Professor, Norman B. Keevil Institute of Mining Engineering, University of British Columbia (for the 2nd Edition)
"This is a remarkable work!" -- Journal of Mineral Resources Engineering (MRE) (for the 2nd Edition)
"This is a sound textbook for mining professionals and students." -- Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME) (for the 1st Edition)
"A good book for the people interested in mining, gives a good perspective of planning nearly everything of mining engineering" -- Nikolay Georgiev, Chelopech Mining EAD, Bulgaria
"This is an ideal companion book on mine planning." -- Trevor McIlwaine, Beeliar, Australia
"This is now a prescribed book for the mining engineering students." -- University of Nevada, Reno - Library Acquisitions
"Fortunately, here is one book that talks actually about planning of mines." -- Tina Mudd Reno, NV, USA
"This book is value for money" -- Juan Manuel Flores, Oaxaca, Mexico
"Useful for both experts and beginners." -- Masline Makasi Allee, Potsdam, Germany
"Highly recommended to me and I reciprocate the same to every one." -- Kyung Min, Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
"Gives out a good perspective on mine planning." -- Victor Maronga, ACGS-Mine Planning, Leraatsfontein, South Africa
"This book gives me a good confidence to speak about mine planning" -- Oludare O. Joseph, Quarry/Crusher Department, Unicem Factory - Calabar, Nigeria
"Good that the culture of writing good books on mining engineering is beign revived" -- Charles Douglas-Hamilton, North Berwick, UK
"Excellent books. Our students would also need them. We will recommend them to our libraries." -- Alexander L. Ivannikov, Dean, International Faculty, Moscow State Mining University
About the Author:
Dr. Jayanta Bhattacharya is currently Professor and Head of the Department of Mining Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
After obtaining both his B.Tech and M.Tech degrees from the Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, he joined ITT Kharagpur in 1987 where he obtained his Ph.D. in Engineering, specializing in reliability engineering and mine system planning.
Dr. Bhattacharya has made pioneering contributions in the field of research and education related to quality and reliability engineering, algorithm development, and bio-remediation and treatment of acid mine and industrial effluents.
He is a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering and was awarded three prestigious fellowships: Monbusho (Japan) Research Fellowship, BrainPool Senior Scientist Fellowship (South Korea) and Helmholtz Association Research Stipendiary (Germany) for his outstanding contribution in research. He is also a member of the editorial boards of three international journals: Mineral Resources Engineering, Industrial Insider, and Mine, Metals and Fuels. He has written more than 100 research papers in refereed journals and proceedings, and has edited a number of conference proceedings and monographs.
We also recommend purchasing Volume II of the book - "Principles of Mine Planning, Vol. II: Enterprise Building"
Purchase on the Web